Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What is a democrat?

Over the last few days there has been lots of talk about Joe Lieberman. If you’re smart you haven’t paid attention. I’m not that smart but clearly, he’s not that smart either. The question really is not about whether Joe Lieberman will be a candidate but whether he is a democrat and further, what is a democrat?

I used to have the answer to that question but I simply don’t anymore. A democrat used to be someone who cared about the “less fortunate”. They were willing to spend money and use resources to provide opportunities to the people who had not had them. They believed in justice for all--not just the lip service part. They were Christians, Jews, Moslems, Hindu’s and Buddhists. They were also laborers, teachers, blue collar workers, women, minorities, the educated and the soon to be educated. They were young and old and black, brown, yellow and white. You could find them at a WalMart like store, on the upper west side of Manhattan or shopping at a local grocer. They were in government, public service, the military, corporations, and small businesses. You get the point? They were everywhere and they knew why they were democrats and what they stood for. It is no longer the case. The lines have been skewed and the issues have been muddled.

A few years ago I worked for a guy that was running for Democratic Committee Chair. The guy was a schmuck and additionally, he never paid me. But that’s beside the point—well maybe it’s not because I have heard that republicans pay very well. Anyway, (which is one of my favorite words) Tim Roemer ran against Howard Dean. But Tim Roemer is a Catholic and not in favor of abortion. (Being pro-choice is part of the party platform.) He maintained that he didn’t want to change the platform but that there had to be room for someone with his views in the party leadership. He made a good case. The democratic party can’t be a single issue party and we need to broaden our outreach if we are going to survive. My job was to put him in touch with women leaders and (I suggested) listen to what they had to say, and figure out how to have a conversation with women of opposing views. He did OK except he didn’t really listen, he lost and he didn’t pay me.

So the question is; is there a difference between an issue like abortion and the war in Iraq? Can someone be a democrat and still support the war? If someone supports the President’s right wing policies, should they still be given the opportunity to represent the people of a state totally opposed to those policies. Does a senator or representative have to reflect the views of their constituency? How much of the time? I don't have the answers to these questions. But I'm a really good poser and supposer of questions.

But back to Sen. Lieberman. There are things I know about Joe Lieberman. I'm not sure they are important when it comes to making a decision about his qualifications for the Senate but here goes. He is an entertainer—yes he sings. He's not great but it does take courage to have a mediocre voice and still belt out a tune. He is a devout Jew. He won't campaign or work on the Sabbath. This is a good thing because a congressional or political staff needs a definate day to rest. He must be kind because he let, or encouraged, his first wife (the latest wife was there too) to tag along and be treated like a VIP during his campaign for VP. Yes it was a bit disconcerting and oft times crowded. His children seem to respect him and animals probably flock to his side. And finally, he supports the war in Iraq, not just the troops but the war. People say that he has always been consistent in his position and that’s a good thing. But is the inability to reflect and see that maybe there needs to be an alternative position a good thing, or does it indicate an inability to be flexible when you think you may be wrong or you can never admit you made a mistake, or worse, he actually believes we should be there. His supporters say, you know what you get with Joe. And I guess the people of Conn. will have to decide if they want it? And if he is their democrat. I just wish I knew what a democrat is today. We're just sayin...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roemer is a Schmuck. Lieberman isn't a democrat, but then hardly any of the dem's in Congress seem to be dem's any more.

Where are all the Wellstone's?!

Marla

Anonymous said...

Joe Lieberman will organize with the Democratic Caucus. Failing to make him our nominee will open the door to a Republican from Conn. That's the exactly wrong thing to do and would be a greater example of support for Bush than anything Senator Lieberman will ever do.

Anonymous said...

That's the problem and plays right into the Republican strategy. Democrats keep giving their votes to democrats that don't really represent democrat ideals (at least, they don't represent my idea of democratic ideals); we do so because we have shitty choices and don't want to lose to the republicans. Maybe if we demanded more of the democrats we'd get a solid candidate to stand behind. I think Dean's popularity was a message to the Democratic Party -- one they didn't like. They can’t take my vote for granted any more – I’m not voting for democrats in republican clothing. The Party needs to get a back bone. It’s time for the Democratic Party to shape up or ship out....

Anonymous said...

In l992 my brother called me from NJ and told me I had to vote for Clinton. I asked him why and he said he's the only one that can help me. I voted for Perot.
In l994 my brother lost his job after 35 years due to a factory closing. I called him and told him to call Bill. He told me he did but all he got was a recording with heavy breathing....

Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»